As outmoded as pen and paper may be these days, there are certainly times when a handwritten thank-you note is quite appropriate, especially in the business world. Here are some quick points on the timing and effectiveness of a thank-you notes in the business world:
- As quickly as possible – either the same day or day after the meeting
- For best results, sent while the meeting is still fresh in the sender’s mind
- Shows the sender values the opportunity
- Illustrates attention to detail
- Demonstrates ability to follow through on tasks
The writing of thank-you notes is an etiquette step that is often overlooked, and even deemed unnecessary in many scenarios. This is a common misconception, though, and a good amount of lost opportunities may be won over by such simple gestures of personal care. If a thank-you note is ever in doubt, we encourage people to err on the side of safety and send a thank-you anyway – it definitely can’t hurt!